Thursday 23 February 2012

Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie ~ from scratch!

When I first starting making pies, I went with the store bought package of filling and followed the directions.  It was good.  Then I switched it up by putting some fresh lemon juice in with the mix and it was Great.  Now I've realized it isn't that hard (and cheaper) to make it by scratch and it is FANTASTIC!

My Pampered Chef pie plate ~ a little deeper than normal.
It's stoneware and bakes so evenly.
Mix 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 tsp salt. 

Pie dough waiting to be rolled out

Making sure it is larger than my pie plate

I sprinkle flour in the bottom

I roll out onto wax paper (from the cereal boxes) and then
flip it over onto my pie plate

Remove wrap and place inside the pie plate


Trim edges

I flip the edges under and press gently along the top edge

Poke fun at the crust ~ the holes help it not shrivel up to a tiny tart :)

Add 1 1/3 cups water to dry ingredients in the pot and stir
Separate your egg whites/yolks.
I used 4 baby eggs as they were smaller and boy, did they puff up!
Now it is time to zest your fresh lemon and squeeze out the juice.  You want 1/2 cup of juice.




My zester my hubby bought me in August 2003.
How do I remember when he bought me that?  I was hugely pregnant with our 3rd daughter and my hubby was working 3 hours away.  He was a student and we needed to make some money in the summer. It was hot hot hot.  I had no air conditioning and lived upstairs.  I was miserable.  He bought me a zester ~ he knows me so well!
Heat up your water/sugar mix and stir stir stir

Beat your egg yolks.  Slowly add some cooked filling mix to the yolks.
If you were to just add the yolks to the hot mixture, you'd have LUMPS of cooked egg yolk ~ Gross!  Slowly add warm mixture first, then add it.  VOILA! No lumps.
Cooking your pie crust ... and yes, it shrinks a little.
Don't let the way your crust looks turn you off making pie.  I have still to perfect a consistent beautiful looking cooked pie shell.  They taste wonderful, just sometimes look a little wonky.
When your filling looks cooked, add 2 tbsp butter and your 1/2 cup lemon juice.


Then add your zest ~ but first remove your wisk!
It gets all tangled around it otherwise.  Switch to a spatula!

Stir it up with your spatula...smells wonderful!

Cooked pie crust
Now to meringue ~ I was so scared of meringue ~ it's just whipped egg whites and sugar really.  The fresher your egg, the better.  Well, mine were very fresh and from young hens.  I used 4 little eggs and 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar.  If you don't have cream of tartar, no worries!  It still turns out fine!
1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and 4 little egg whites

Starting to whip the meringue ~
Slowly add 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Whipped egg white ~ white and forms stiff peeks when you lift your beater out

Filling up the cooked pie crust.  Next time I will either make more
filling, or use a smaller pie plate.

The cook needs to take a quick lick to make sure it
doesn't taste horrid or anything...then wash your spatula of course


Try to make some nice swirls and peeks in it

 Almost perfect ~ Lesson Learned:  Don't go to the freezer to "get something quick", as something will fall or you'll fall into your freezer and you'll get distracted and a few minutes later your pie will look like this~
Lemon Meringue Pie ~ Did not taste burnt at all, just a little browned on top
I think it took about 10 minutes at 375F.  This is something you watch and not leave unattended :)
Pie was very much enjoyed!
Lemon Meringue Pie
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup water
3 eggs, separated ~ yolks beaten
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon peel (or slightly more)
1 tsp lemon extract (which I never have)
BAKED pie crust 9in.
Meringue:
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup white sugar

3 comments:

  1. I love lemon meringue pie. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Yours looks amazing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite pie! I am so going to try this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this as it's my hubby's favorite pie. Thank you for sharing. Oh, I LOVE my Pampered Chef stones, they are awesome!
    Blessings,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments ~ thank you!