Tuesday 6 March 2012

Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe ~ Italian Sausage Soup

A dear friend from Manitoba not only MADE me this delicious soup on a few occasions, she even delivered it to my door when we were renovating there.  So sweet, my ultimate favourite soup of all time.  Reminds me of going to the Olive Gardens in Winnipeg when I was a college girl.   Endless soup and bread sticks for under $7 ( I think) and many a bread stick came home in our purses!



Zuppa Toscana Soup                                                              
 
1 lb spicy Italian sausage
1/2 lb smoked bacon chopped
1 qt water
(2) 14.5 oz cans (about 3- 2/3 cups) chicken broth
2 lg russet potatoes- cubed
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 med onion- chopped
2 cups chopped kale OR swiss chard
1 cup heavy whipping cran
salt and pepper to taste
 

  1. in a skillet over med-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it, drain, set aside.
  2. in a skillet over med-high heat, brown bacon; drain, set aside.
  3. place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over med heat until potatoes are tender.
  4. add sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes.
  5. add swiss chard/kale and cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through.
 
MY VERSION:
 

I use Swiss Chard and I use my own chicken stock made from saved up chicken bones from our roast chickens.  

You can also just use those little bouillon cubes if need be.  Or try beef stock.

Put the cream in afterwards and it keeps for longer.

Try adding more potatoes, etc and doubling the recipe.  I make BIG batches when I make this.  

Try with mild sausage or hot.

This soup really hits the spot on a chilly day! (It's also easy on the budget if you buy the sausage on a sale and add more potatoes.) Quick to make.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments ~ thank you!