Monday, 12 March 2012

I altered the "too big" dress

I made this dress from a pattern for our daughter last year... it was large on her then, but thought maybe she'd grow into it.  NOPE. This year has arrived and I took the scissors to the dress.  It was expensive material and I was feeling horrible for "wasting" and having no idea how to fix it!

Gathered waist (with a lining underneath) and pleats across the bottom
 She was so excited to have a pretty purple dress from Mommy ~ too bad it was too big!
 Thought I'd try with a raised waist line
 Took some of the material out for less bulk
 I couldn't even bear to take a photo of what that looked like!  Still too much bulk around the waist line.  So I cut again and this time tried pleats and NO lining in the skirt.

 This worked!  I took out the pleats (I don't know what they are called) along the bottom of the skirt and it made it long enough.  I tightened the neck area as well.
It was a little full of static cling, but she wore her bloomers underneath and had a good time.  The dress does not make her look like a block now...and we are happy with it.  WHEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments ~ thank you!